Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Finally got paid...

After working close to 5 month now, I finally got paid! (Partially anyways) Then I got screwed by taxes cause the UK tax year ends on April 3rd. I didn't know this before but the earnings are taxed based on when you get paid, not when you actually did the work. So the work that I did from December to April of last years tax year will be taxed this year, along with my this years income. Blah. Then I got screwed again by the accounting firm cause they processed my pay incorrectly, they thought that I made that much in a month, resulting in a huge tax rate. I felt like I was back at the U taking a finance class, reading up on UK tax, but if I really wanted to do that, why would I hire these 'professional' accountants.

Then they forgot to process my expenses, even after calling them up about it. Before this, they lost the timesheet that I faxed in and took over a week to get back to me after I've mailed a 'have you received my timesheet' email. And no, that is not all that they messed up on. With just a click on the 'forward' button, the Jr accountant that manages my account sent a string of private conversations between me and the accounting company to the employer (I was furious, imagine that, me being furious. That doesn't happen much. Does it?) Then there's more... And these guys are suppose to be professionals, but so far, they are doing a piss poor job!

1 comment:

Geoff said...

Wow, poor Olivia! So you worked for 5 months without getting paid? I wonder how often that happens over there? Sheesh, that's crazy. In fact, the whole story is! I guess the thing with email is that it does leave a paper trail, and it's as easy for the guy to send it to your employer as it is to post it on the internet. I guess technology isn't always "better". Sorry to hear about that Ngai-san.

Contributors