Sunday, April 10, 2005

Weekend trip to Galway

Bo, Danny (our house mate) and I went to Galway for the weekend. We took the bus from Dublin and it took about 4 hrs to get there. We arrived in Galway at around 1pm. We booked a hostel on line before we left so we were set for a place to crash. Tip when booking on line, don’t book at the first site that you find… I found 2 sites for the same hostel and one site was 25% less than the other. And always plan ahead and book early. We booked our hostel about 2 days before arriving and it took me forever to find a vangent hostel with 3 beds. I wanted a 4 bed ensuite but every hostel I found was full.

Anyways, Galway is a lot smaller than Dublin. We walked through the entire city centre in a few hours. We went to see the usual stuff like statues and the bay area. But we’ve already been to several bays, they all look very similar. So nothing really special. We met an Australian in the hostel and he stuck with us for the afternoon. We had Chinese for dinner. Nothing special except that the prices were higher than Calgary and the portion was A LOT smaller. That and the food isn’t as tasty. Did I mention that the weather really sucked… it poured all day long! Oh, I did notice that Galway was a cleaner city than Dublin.

Sunday, we took a tour bus to Burren Region and the Cliffs of Moher. The Burren is the Irish version of the rocky mountain. If you’re an avid scrambler (Joanne) it’s nothing you haven’t seen before. The cliffs were nice. Everyone was crawling to the edges and looking down… it was a loooooong way down. A few tourists fell last year and the bodies were still not found.

There were other stops along the way but the only one worth mentioning is the stone burial ground. Along time ago, people piled large pieces of stone on top of graves. Its pretty hard to image how they were able to lift the large pieces of stones without any machinery.

I’m sure Galway is a great place, but I didn’t have a wonderful time when I was there because I didn’t sleep well in the hostel. What I needed were a pair of ear plugs and an eye mask. You can imagine what happen… I didn’t function extremely well on Sunday.

1 comment:

Avatamsaka Monastery Choir said...

Nice pictures Olivia. So have you been keeping up with your Irish literature? I recommend reading some James Joyce since he writes about the cliffs of Galway in some of his short stories. Nothing better than reading prose and poetry about an exotic place and actually being in that exotic place.

Contributors