Friday, January 21, 2005

Copenhagen, Denmark...

Our first day in Copenhagen. We started our day early again and I had troubles getting up (9:30am) We went to Rosenborg Castle today. It's the first castle I’ve ever visited. It was huge. There was 3 levels open to the public. We spent almost 2 hrs in there. There were many paintings and exquisite items on display. The museum guy explained that this castle's interior design was before it's time. It had an indoor toilet room when all other castles didn't. It also had Asian artifacts which was considered exotic at the time... Good visit, worth seeing.

We walked through the 'Walking Street' to get to the Round Tower. There were many little outdoor shops on the 'Walking Street'. This is a more touristy area and supposedly had lots of public washrooms but I couldn't spot any...

The Round Tower is exactly what it sounds like. It's a big round tower that people can walk up. I think it was ordered by a king to build a tower that his horse can ride up. So we walked up this tower... it was a pretty long and steep walk. Started with a ramp and eventually had to walk up a few flights of stairs to get up to the observatory. Up top, we were able to see a lot of Copenhagen. But it was EXTREMLY windy up there. Ok visit, go if you want to catch a fresh breath but beware of the high velocity of the wind.

Then we walked to the Runes of Copenhagen Castle. This place used to be a castle built in the 11 hundreds, which was destroyed and rebuilt with add-ons and destroyed and rebuilt again with add-ons and destroyed again by enemy forces. Then it was forgotten and found again in the 19th century while digging up the land to build something (for a more accurate account, look it up!) So they preserved this place, made it into an attraction and built on top of it. It was a long tour if you read everything, but basically was about seeing different sizes and types of broken rocks. If you're into archeology, then it's probably worth the visit. But if you're a techno nerd then it might be a bit boring...

We did all the above before having lunch. I’m cold, tired, blown away (by the fierce wind) and hungry. But I’m actually enjoying myself. That doesn’t make any sense! It’s a busy day today, no time for lunch. So we just popped into the corner store for some snacks. Then we bused, trained and walked to Andre’s university. (He had to run some errands) So we hung out there for a bit, saw his lab and said hello to his robot. For those who don’t know, Andre’s really into robotics. That’s what his thesis is about. He’s also competed in the Robocup last year and he’s building a new robot for the Robocup competition this year.

We finally finished the day at 6pm (sun has been down for at least ½ hr now). We went for pizza then picked up some breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next few days… I’ve done as much walking today than the entire week combined. We’ll see what Andre has in store for us tomorrow…

1 comment:

Silvenwolf said...

Did he drag you on a 15K walk? ;) He did that to me... oh, my poor tiny little feetsies. I think, between Amailenborg and Rosenborg, I enjoyed Rosenborg the best - André if you're reading this, it's not because of the gorgeous royal gem collection!-

I wish I could see Canuck II, but I think that wish will be granted enough. Canuck II is the name of that robot; Canuck I was dismantled not too long ago.

Hopefully you're getting used to the cold weather, but it's good to hear that you're enjoying yourself. And yes, I'm making a habit out of commenting in here in almost every post.

Contributors